We now have a dedicated social prescriber – Morgan Summerfield.
What is social prescribing?
- Social prescribing is a service that helps people improve their health and wellbeing through alternative routes.
- Many things affect our mental and physical health and these may be social and economic. To feel well, people need friends and a feeling of belonging, a sense of purpose, financial security, a safe home and hope for their future.
- Social prescribing involves an assessment with Morgan to talk about what you are facing, what you need and what is important to you. Morgan can then support you to access the right support in the community.
- Skilled social prescribers like Morgan are an integral part of your healthcare team. Morgan will be able to see and update your medical record, just like the GPs and nurses do, to ensure that your care and support is joined up and working for you.
- Social prescribing is not counselling. It does provide a safe space to talk and explore issues but the focus is on practical support. By helping you access the right support, the aim is to improve long term health and wellbeing and exert more control over day-to-day issues.
- Some of the services Morgan might recommend include advisory services, skills building services, accessing training, finding work, volunteering, becoming active and/or creative and lots more.
- Social prescribers like Morgan are highly skilled at navigating all the hundreds of services on offer in communities and recommending the right ones to individuals.
- If a GP or nurse suggests referral to Morgan you will usually be contacted within 1-2 weeks.
- If you feel you would benefit from a referral to Morgan please complete an econsult or book a telephone consultation.